Welcome Guest

     Home  Site Map  Help

 
Citadel of Sidon Today
 
 
Citadel of Sidon - As It Appeared on Year 1810. It was built by the Crusaders in the early 13th century.  
 
Painting Of The Citadel of Sidon  
 
 
 

                                        Murex Hill

Sidon Murex Hill

Murex Hill. To the south of the citadel is a mound of debris called Murex Hill. This artificial hill (100 meters long and 50 meters high) was formed by the accumulation of refuse from the purple dye factories of Phoenician times. Mosaic tiling found at the top of the mound suggests that Roman buildings were erected there. The hill today is covered by houses and buildings as well as a cemetery. Broken murex shells can still be seen on the lower part of the hill, but because of extensive construction, it is increasingly inaccessible to the public.

Murex Hill

 

 

 

 

Information From the Ministry of Tourism

Lebanese Ministry of Tourism

Top of Page
 
 
 
 
2005 - 2009 Saidon Home Page. All rights reserved.
Monuments of Tyre Castle - South Lebanon

Sour - Tyre

 
  Home  About Us  Contact Us  Help                                                                                                                              Copyright NetMotif. All Rights Reserved.